Travelodge Covent Garden, 10 Drury Lane, High Holborn WC2B 5RE
I recently stayed at the Travelodge Covent Garden which is central to London’s theatreland, restaurants and nightlife around Soho. It is also well located for the mainline station, London Charing Cross and just a 7 minute walk from Covent Garden underground station.
About the Hotel
The Travelodge, Covent Garden is well placed for walking to popular London attractions such as:
- Covent Garden Market ( 8 minutes walk)
- London Transport Museum ( 7 minutes walk)
- Great Restaurants within a short walk that I can recommend include: Punjab (the oldest North Indian restaurant in the UK), Souk Medina – North African food, The Real Greek, Waxy O’Connor’s Irish Pub, Franco Manca – Italian, Gaucho – Argentine, Preto – Brazilian, Big Easy BBQ&Crabshack – American, Dishoom – Indian, Banana Tree – Pan Asian
- London Film Museum (7 minutes walk)
- St Martin in the Fields (15 minutes walk)
- National Gallery (15 minutes walk)
- Trafalgar Square (15 minutes walk)
- Nelson’s Column (15 minutes walk)
- Theatres from 2 minutes walk
- Royal Opera House (5 minutes walk)
Check-in is available from 3pm and check out is at noon the following day. An earlier check-in may be available for an additional charge of £10. As well as checking-in at reception, there are self-check in machines available for use too.
Bar and Restaurant
The Travelodge Covent Garden has a large onsite restaurant and bar open for breakfast, dinner and drinks. Monday-Friday there is an unlimited ‘all you can eat’ breakfast available between 7am and 10am. Breakfast on weekends is served between 8am and 11am. An additional charge is made for breakfast but there are plenty of places to eat nearby.
A selection of reasonably priced food (2 courses for £12) is available from 12pm-5pm and 10pm-6am daily including dishes such as …
- Katsu Curry
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Steak & Ale Pudding
- A selection of side dishes also perfect for a snack and
- A variety of Desserts
Rooms types available are:
- Double with kingsize beds
- Twin Rooms – zip and link twins which offers single or double bed options
- Super rooms with kingsize bed and additional features.
My Accommodation – Double Room
My room was clean, warm and comfortable comprising a kingsize bed, television with Freeview, desk with chair, tea and coffee making facilities. The small bathroom was fitted with a shower, WC and a wash handbasin. A fan was provided in the room together with an iron and ironing board. These are usually available on request if not in the room already. Hairdryers are also available on request, but not guaranteed.
Super Double Rooms
There are now some super rooms available which are more spacious and offer a little more than the standard double rooms.
Extras include a power shower, desk with charging points and desk light, 32″ slimline TV, Lavazza coffee machines, mood lighting, black out curtains, choice of firm or soft pillows and an ‘in room’ iron with ironing board.
All rooms have access to half an hour free wifi. An additional 24 hours wifi can be purchased for £3.
Prices vary but they offer good value for money. Travelodge Covent Garden can work out a little more expensive than some of the other Travelodge hotels, due to its central location. Flexible rates are available giving you the option of cancelling with a full refund up to 4pm before the scheduled day of arrival. Check their website for current prices.
Discounted chargeable parking is available at the NCP Car Park at 1 Museum Street, WC1A 1JR. On weekdays only, hotel customers will be offered a 50% discount but will need to register at the hotel first of all.
Parking charges Monday-Friday, for cars …
30 minutes £6.00
1- 2 hours – £20.00
2- 4 hours – £40.00
4- 24 hours- £45.00
24 hours – £42.00
Motorcycle per day £6.00.
The weekend daily rate is £25
During my stay, I dealt with several members of staff at the front desk and in the bar area. They were all very friendly and helpful.
Benefits for a Solo Traveller
- Close to the Mainline Stations and underground
- Walking distance to many activities and places to eat
- Friendly staff
- Flexible rate available so you can cancel up to 4pm the day before the day of arrival
Suggested Further Reading:
Things to do in London – recommended solo activities
Restaurants in London – recommended places to dine solo