La Brasserie, Slipway Marina, English Harbour, Antigua
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily from October – mid August
A table for one at this excellent French restaurant in English Harbour became the highlight of my dining experiences in Antigua. This is a superb restaurant and, dare I say, the steak was the best I have ever had…
About La Brasserie
I was staying at the boutique hotel, Admiral’s Inn within the grounds of Nelson’s Dockyard. Reception phoned to reserve a table for me at La Brasserie which is a relatively new addition to English Harbour. A free water taxi service is offered within Nelson’s Dockyard. The pleasant boat ride takes around 5 minutes. It is great to take in the views of the lights around the harbour at night and feel the cool breeze.
The delightful French couple that run La Brasserie are incredibly friendly and I really enjoyed our conversations. The restaurant area, with French music playing, is casual and relaxed and located directly on the waterfront. As a solo diner it was great to sit by the edge and look out across the water. The decked area is furnished with white tables and chairs and comfortable red cushions. Their cute pet dog roams around freely.
Complimentary warm, crunchy French bread was served on arrival…
with a crisp cheese foite pastry, together with a chilled and mild gazpacho …
Starters from EC$34.50
- Homemade foie gras with a red onion jam
- Avocado tartare with king crab
- Warm Goat’s cheese salad
Main Courses from EC$30-125
- Selection of pizzas including tomato sauce, mozzarella and truffle
- Lobster risotto
- Seared tuna with cajan spices and carrot purée
The food was so good, I dined here twice! The steak I had was honestly the best steak I have ever had. It was cooked to perfection, old fashioned style in cognac with a peppercorn crust. This was served with home made fries which were delicious.
The second time I dined here, I chose the fish kebab – 4 types of beautifully cooked fish on a bed of buttery leeks.
Desserts from EC$20
- Grand Marnier Souffle
- A choice of crêpes flambéed with Grand Marnier
- Home Made Profiteroles
I ordered the recommended Tarte au Citron revisitée… A dish with layers of flavours. The toasted buttery cake crumbs were topped with a tart lemon custard and lemon cream. All three layers together was an incredible taste.
Would I Return?
The food at La Brasserie d’Antigua was outstanding both times I visited and I would definitely return again for the following reasons…
- First class food
- Best steak I have ever had
- Relaxed fine dining restaurant
- Wonderful outlook with tables by the waters edge, great for solo dining
- Tables not too close together
- Friendly staff
- Water taxi
Note for those who live in Antigua or for those staying for a while, there are some special offers (terms and conditions apply so check with the staff)…
- Two pizzas for the price of one on a Tuesday
- Free bottle of French house wine when ordering a 5th pizza or 6th rotisserie chicken
- Free delivery is offered for some of the dishes to the Nelson’s Dockyard, Pigeon Point Beach and Galleon Beach areas.
Suggested Further Reading: