Vegan Junk Food Bar, Staringplein 22, 1054 VL Amsterdam, Netherlands
Strolling along the streets of Amsterdam on a warm sunny day, I stumbled across the Vegan Junk Food Bar. The outdoor seating area looked inviting, the name of the restaurant was interesting and the graffiti on the walls disturbing!
Graffiti – Suck My Bitter Balls
I was shocked to read this on the walls heading up to the bathrooms. However, once I learnt that ‘Bitterballen’ is actually a deep fried Dutch meaty snack served with various dips, I relaxed!!!
About The Restaurant
This fun, lively restaurant was born from a desire to create plant based comfort food. The Vegan Junk Food Bar is one of a chain of 4 in Amsterdam but each menu is different.
Reservations cannot be made and American Express or, cards without a pin code are not accepted. Note you are unable to use cash here either.
There are 2 covered, outdoor seating areas which are fantastic places to sit and watch the world go by, particular on a sunny day. Inside the atmosphere is buzzy, with friendly, happy staff and loud music playing. The restaurant is bright and cheery with bold paint and large windows allowing the light to flood in. Additionally there is an upstairs area with interesting graffiti to one of the walls.
Food and Drinks
Reasonably priced starting from Euros 4.25 includes…
- Triple Fried Frites
- Amsterdam Bitterballs with mustard
- Coconut Curry Bitterballs with a spicy chilli sauce
Just wanting a snack, I chose the Unicorn Bread with Pink Aioli… It tasted good even though the colours messed with my head a bit!
Burgers & Specials from Euros 9.50 and includes
- Daddy Mc Chik’n – double plant based based chik’n on a black bun with cheddar, lettuce, tomato, red spring and fried onion mix, pickles and Daddy sauce
- Pinky Shawarma – Plant based shawarma on a pink bun with lettuce, tomato, red spring and fried onion mix, herbs, pomegranate, jalapeños, pink aioli and daddy sauce
Seafood starts from Euros 8.95 and includes
- Fresh Sashimi Deluxe – No tuna and salmon served with ginger, wasabi and soya
- Fried scallop balls with spicy chilli sauce
To look at more menu choices and the interesting gallery of photos, have a look at Vegan Junk Food Bar’s website.
A selection of organic juices, cold pressed juices, Fevertree sodas, beers and cocktails are available.
Vegan Junk Food Bar – Shop
If you wish to take home a souvenir, hoodies, t-shirts and bags are available to purchase.
The service from the incredibly friendly staff was excellent and food and drinks were served promptly with a smile.
Would I Return?
I will definitely return to this restaurant or one of the other branches. I would love to try one of the main courses rather than a snack. It is a great place to come for dining solo or with friends, for the following reasons…
- The food I tried was good and the other meals being served to the surrounding tables looked amazing
- Service was excellent
- Great location and good for people watching
- Dining areas were suitable for solo dining. There were plenty of window seats available inside
- Staff were friendly
Suggested Further Reading:
Hotels in Amsterdam – In a good location or where I have stayed as a solo traveller
Activities in Amsterdam – that I have enjoyed by myself
Blog post of top travel tips when going to Amsterdam