Movenpick, Amsterdam City Centre, Piet Heinkade 11, 1019 BR Amsterdam Netherlands
An impressive hotel in a convenient location with far reaching views of the River IJ and city. Luxurious rooms with quality extras ensure a comfortable stay.
Facilities at the hotel include the following:
- Health and fitness suite
- Finnish and bio sauna
- Ice Fountain
- 4 types of massage at Euros 85 per hour
- Access to range of fitness equipment and a technogym kinesis machine
- Restaurant and Bar
- Free Shuttle
- Free Wifi throughout the hotel
A minibus provides a free shuttle service half hourly to and from the hotel to Centraal Station if required from 7am-7:30pm. Prebook via the concierge desk.
Room Types – 408 rooms
- Classic – one king or 2 single beds, walk-in shower or bath with shower, hairdryer, magnifying mirror, climate control, flat screen tv, desk, safe, mini fridge, tea and coffee making facilities
- Classic with city views – as above with city/river views
- Executive – located on 19th and 20th floors with access to the Executive Lounge for complimentary breakfast and drinks/snacks from 5pm-7pm. The rooms have one king or 2 single beds, walk-in shower or bath with shower, hairdryer, magnifying mirror, bathrobe, slippers, mineral water, fresh fruit, mini bar and coffeemaker with Mövenpick capsules
- Executive with city view – as above with views
- Junior Suite – A living area with sofa bed which can accommodate a third guest, bedroom with king size bed, slippers, bathrobe, walk in shower, bathtub, TV with satellite channels and on-demand movies, CD player, safe, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, coffeemaker with Mövenpick capsules, mineral water, fruit, minibar. Buffet breakfast is included in the Executive Lounge as well as drinks/snacks from 5pm-7pm
- Ambassador Suite – As above but larger
- Superior – located on the 15th and 18th floors – include one king or 2 single beds, walk-in shower or bath with shower, hairdryer, magnifying mirror, climate control, flat screen tv, desk, safe, bathrobe and slippers, minibar and a coffeemaker with Mövenpick capsules, panoramic views of the river
- Superior with city view – as above but with city/river views
- Family rooms – offer guaranteed interconnecting rooms
- Movenpick Sleep Rooms – see My Room
- Movenpick Sleep Rooms with a view
My Room – A Movenpick Sleep Room with a view
- Soundproof rooms
- Blackout curtains
- Situated in a quiet part of the hotel
- Twin Beds with YouBed Mattresses which adapt to your body shape
- Sofa Bed
- Remote Control to adjust firmness of mattress
- Bathtub with Shower
- Hairdryer, magnifying mirror, comb, shoe horn, sewing kit
- A basket containing ear plugs, lavender sachet, eye mask
Restaurant – The Silk Road
A wonderful restaurant with river views and open kitchen area. Breakfast is served here from 6:30am-10:30am (11am on weekends). Dinner between 5pm and 10pm. Click on the link to see the full menu available.
I really enjoyed coming to this dimly lit, bar with a relaxed vibe, after a long day of walking around the city. Small tables are situated around the bar area as well as bar stools up at the counter. Both were good options for dining solo or just having a cocktail or coffee. All members of staff I spoke to were friendly and pleasant to converse with.
Bar snacks were reasonably priced and portion sizes were generous. The Fries were priced at Euros 4 and the Nachos, Euros 10 but were more than I could eat.
Green Globe Certified
Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts are the most Green Globe certified hotel company in the world.
- They try to reduce the the use of natural resources.
- They recycle and reuse materials.
- Their paper towels are FSC certified.
- The cleaning products they use are ecologically friendly.
- Eco-flush toilets are fitted into the bathrooms in order to reduce the amount of water used.
- Sensors are provided on public water taps.
Would I Return to Movenpick, Amsterdam?
I would definitely return to this hotel and will look out for other Movenpick Hotels in the future at different destinations.
Reasons I would Return as a Solo Traveller
- Superb location – 10 minutes walk to Centraal Station
- 10 minutes walk to the wharf
- Close to trams and taxis
- The area felt safe and there were always people around
- Luxurious Rooms
- Stunning views
- Very friendly and helpful staff
- I felt very comfortable being in the bar alone
- Free shuttle to and from the station
Suggested Further Reading:
Restaurants that I enjoyed dining solo at
Things to do in Amsterdam – Recommended solo activities
Travel Tips – Things I wish I had known before booking my trip!